I’ve been wanting to start a Travel section on theboxqueen, and to kick it off with a “What to Pack” series for so long now. My hope is to share with you what I take with me, offer some tips from my experiences, and give examples of what I wear as well.
I love all kinds of travels; little discovery &sightseeing trips, weekend getaways, and of course extended vacations, they all have a special place in my heart. Traveling is something we love, and enjoy as a couple ( and family); something we try to do as much as time allows.
Growing up, traveling was also an important part of my life. My parents instilled in me the desire to expand my horizons, learn more about different lives, cultures, places, ( which they believed increased one’s understanding of the world, tolerance, and kindness ) and of course to unwind from the stresses of the hectic everyday lives of us busy bees. I try to continue this tradition with my own kids.
As I mentioned I am traveling a lot this summer, and I thought it would be appropriate to start “What to Pack” series with “A Weekend Beach Getaway”. I love quick two day trips. They are convenient, coordinate perfectly with kids schedules & activities especially during school times, and are little pockets of breathers during busiest times of the year both for me, and my husband. I am a beach girl by heart, and my favorite kind of getaways are to the blue waters.
Darryl Sunglasses | Kate Spade $145
Floral Print Beach Towel | Volcom $39
Dress | ModCloth $49
Geo Scarf Print Beach Caftan | ASOS $57
Bikini Top | Bikini Lab $30
Bikini Bottom | Bikini Lab $30
Sandal |Caslon $89
Straw Bag | ASOS $38
Flip Flop | Havaianas $28
Here is a board I made for my bare-bones weekend beach getaway essentials. This will be followed by what I actually take with me in my own suitcase. These are some of my favorite finds for a beach getaway from the various online stores I frequent . I have my eye on that Modcloth dress, and the Nordstrom two piece is so girly and fun.
FROM THEBOXQUEEN’S SUITCASE
Here is what I take to the beach ( or the pool) :
I’ll be the first to admit, I am not a light packer, at all. Especially for any trip that is longer than three days, I pack way more than I need, always thinking “what if”. What if I want to pair this outfit with my green heels, want to wear the silver necklace instead, or suddenly crave for my lace dress. What do you think ladies, any of you think the same way? 🙂
For quick getaways though I become much more efficient. I take with me what I’ll need to feel comfortable, and stylish and leave the rest behind. ( with young kids we have a LOT of things we take with us anyways. )
Here is what I take with me for, and to the beach/pool:
- A cute beach bag. Should be big enough to fit everything I lug around. I like this striped, ruffled one, but alternate between a couple bags.
- Two cover-ups. I love my maxi laced cover-up for “to and from” the beach/pool, and during lunch time. When I need a change, I switch to my shorter print one.
- Swimsuit. Always pack an extra in my beach bag. Love this super colorful two piece I got a while ago with gold metal shoulder details.
- Wide brimmed straw hat. Not only does this protect my face from the sun, but it is also great for when I am reading my magazines, books.
- Sunglasses. This is a must for eye protection obviously, but I really need it as my eyes are very sensitive to light. Even wear sunglasses during colder months sometimes. Usually have a couple different colored ones with me to go with various outfits.
- Sunscreen. I get tan pretty easily but of course we all need a good sun protection; that goes without saying. I use a SPF 50 sunscreen from Dermologica for my kids ( I can’t say enough good things about this one shown above) and for myself I alternate between Supergoop Everyday Sunscreen, and Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion. I start with SPF 50 then move onto 30. I still get tan with both, and my skin stays healthier.
- A make-up bag filled with essentials. Besides carrying my phone, headphones, and lips glosses, I put essentials such as band-aids, and some wipes here for any beach mishap.
- Accessories, and flip flops. I always have a small arm party of leather bracelets of various textures and width on my arms, this never changes. Also a cute pair of flip-flops are a must. My Coach one has stand the test of time. Here is another Coach flip-flops that are super cute.
- Good reads. My magazines, and a good book always accompany me in my beach bag.
Keep in mind for the beach: You may also want to pack goggles, snorkel, and fins, beach ball, insect repellent, maps &directions ( if you are discovering a remote area) with you depending on where you are swimming at. For a two day trip we usually stay around the resort/hotel beach/pool, and go on the town for sightseeing & discoveries.
What are your must-have’s for the beach?
Here is me from a couple days ago at the pool, with my “beach/pool attire”, wearing the above laced maxi cover-up. ( If you are following me on Instagram you may have already seen this.)
Love this maxi dress, perfect cover-up to transition to lunch at the beach as well. Some other great maxi options: gorgeous jumpsuit, cobalt maxi beach dress.
Below I put together what I actually took with me for a recent weekend getaway. These are what I wore for days on the town spent on discovering new places, local food, and of course a little bit of shopping 🙂 ( seriously though during beach trips I am pretty tame in terms of shopping which my husband really appreciates haha- major city trips a whole another story. )
To pack lightly for your mini getaway FOR DAY all you need is:
- A hat for sun protection. For all the walking around believe me you’ll need a hat. I take this black fedora with me but you can of course take your favorite, any type of hat.
- Shorts. I feel the most comfortable sightseeing with shorts. They are also so versatile, you can easily change up the outfit by switching tops. I wore my favorite Free People cut-off’s with some ethnic embroidery on the pockets, great symbolism for new discoveries. Don’t say fashion can’t go deep. 🙂 Current season options from Free People: Hem detail cut-off, raw hem cut-off.
- Two tops. I take two tops to change up with my shorts one for Saturday, one for Sunday. Above you can see my grey top with buildings print, ( I wore it here) this has a very urban feel, and goes great with the black fedora. The second one is a Free People top with a red bow on the back; makes the outfit a bit girlier.
- Layered Necklaces. I recommend layered necklaces for day time. Not only do they look really cool with the tank tops, but they can also be used alone; even more options for changing up your day look. I layer two compass necklaces to elevate my urban/boho chic day looks. ( and hey they are functional to find where we are going too 🙂 ) The first one is this We are All Smith Necklace, and the second one is from Jewelmint.
- A mini shoulder bag. This bag is perfect for carrying $, id, credit cards, phone, and a mini hand sanitizer. ( I do that for before & after meals ) I put bigger items in the trunk of our car, ( or the car we rent) and carry this little bag to have my hands free. It also doubles as my “night ” bag.
- Flats. You can wear any type of flats. I think they are an absolute must for day time adventures. I prefer these DV Dolce Vita sandals ( this years model). I adore heels, just not for exploration trips.
UPDATE: My dear, and always so resourceful reader lovely Cheryl just reminded me that a scarf is a must-have for trips, and I wholeheartedly agree. In fact I can’t believe I forgot this as I am a big fan of scarves. She said she uses them as wraps at night, beach sarongs, and even used it as a belt once. Thanks for the tip Cheryl! <3
Keep in mind for day time: I always take a guide book with me if it’s my first time to a vacation spot, have my phone ready for navigation (rental cars usually don’t have one), have chargers at hand in case we are out of battery, and we need to make an emergency call ( you don’t want to get stranded on a remote area of an island for instance with no phone- though it’s never foolproof, you would still need reception 🙂 ) My really good camera is always with me, and I carry a travel journal to jot down thoughts, and inspiration.
What do you take with you for day trips?
If you have kids it’s always a good idea to have some books, a tablet for games, crayons & paper at hand when they get bored, or restless.
When it comes to nights out on the town I change up to a nicer outfit, my route moves from functional to fun & fancy. Below you’ll see what I took with me for Saturday night out.
To pack lightly for your mini getaway FOR NIGHT all you need is:
- A cute dress. This can be any type of dress you feel beautiful in. It’s no secret I love chevron. (i.e. this recent keeper from Stitch Fix ) I got this dress from Nordstrom Rack a while ago. It’s a high-low one. I find this shape interesting, and flattering. Here are some current options I like. Tank dress, Print Dress at amazing deals. My dress also has a little peak-a -boo back detail <3
- Statement accessories. Change up the more delicate day accessories with some statement jewelry. I took my Wantable necklace from May, Wantable rings, and Jewelmint cuff bracelet with me. I wear the snake ring on my pointing finger, and wear the sparkly one as a midi ring.
- High heels. I may opt for flats during the day, but I am a high heels gal through and through. These platform heels are comfortable, and pretty. Perfect combo. My Pour La Victoire were purchased two yrs ago. The closest option I found to them is this beautiful Michael Kors sandals.
- Shoulder bag. The same bag from the day look does double duty for night. Instead of cross- body I use it as a shoulder bag for the night look.
What is your night time go to outfit when you pack lightly?
Keep in mind for night time: I always take a belt with me in case I want to belt my dresses. Below you’ll see how I wore my chevron dress from my getaway suitcase. I was initially going to wear it unbelted, it’s a bit more comfortable that way. I tried on the neutral thick belt just because, and loved the outfit more with it.
What I love about the high-low dress is, it’s like magic. Looks like a short dress from the front,
and boom out of the hat comes out a long dress. 🙂
A close-up of the front.
Peek-a-boo back detail.
How do you pack for a weekend beach getaway? If you have any tips you would like to share with me I’ll update the post with them. <3
Hope you enjoyed the first installment of “What to Pack ” series, and I hope to see you in many more.
Can’t wait to hear what you think, and your tips & suggestions. It’s always a wonderful pleasure to talk more with you, and I really appreciate all the comments and e-mails. <3
If you haven’t already make sure to sign-up to theboxqueen on the top of the page for all news, and updates.
You can also find me on theboxqueen social media. I love chatting more there, and sharing bits of each other’s daily lives.
Have a fun, happy new week full of love! XOXO,
FACEBOOK | BLOGLOVIN | INSTAGRAM | TWITTER | PINTEREST
I am linking up with a fab party at More Pieces of Me & On the Daily Express, Style Sessions., and Random Wednesday.
PS. I purchased everything in this post myself. There are some affliate links and thank you s much if you choose to use them! <3